April 2022

Child rapist jailed after police catch him on dating sites

A child rapist with numerous convictions for abusing young girls is back behind bars after he breached a court order.

65-year-old Emlyn Francis used a mobile phone capable of accessing the internet without notifying the police – which he was banned from doing by a sexual harm prevention order (SHPO) he received in 2013 for two offences of raping a child under 13 and seven charges of causing or inciting a child under 13 to engage in sexual activity

Francis was dishonourably discharged from the Army in 1990 after he sexually assaulted an 11-year-old girl.

And in 2001, he was convicted of three counts of indecently assaulting a female under 16, and gross indecency with a child.

However, police visited his home unannounced on January 19 and requested he provided his digital devices. He gave them three and said he had no others. But a phone began buzzing on the settee where he was sitting.

He admitted he had the phone for 18 months. It was examined and police found he had deleted part of his internet history, had been on three social media dating sites and there was a photo of a mother with a young child.

Now Francis has been jailed for 16 months at Stoke-on-Trent Crown Court.

Prosecutor Ben Lawrence said Francis is a convicted sex offender.

Mr Lawrence told the court that police carried out an unannounced visit to the defendant’s address. “They requested that he provided him with his digital devices. He provided them with three that were registered by him. He said there were no other devices in his possession,” he added.

“However, a phone began buzzing on his person or where he was sitting. He stood up and there was a further phone not registered, which he sought to conceal in his waistband. He said he had that phone for about 18 months.

“It was examined. There was evidence he had deleted part of his internet history, he had been on three social media dating sites and there was a photo of a mother and her young child.”

Francis, of John Street, Leek, pleaded guilty to failing to comply with the notification requirements of the sex offenders’ register and three offences of breaching a SHPO.

Judge David Fletcher told Francis: “You were convicted in 2013 of some very serious offences of a sexual nature. One of the consequences of that was that you were made the subject of a SHPO for the rest of your life. You were released from prison in March 2018, but it does not expire until March 2023

“This was a persistent breach. The aggravating feature is your previous convictions.”

The SHPO remains in place for the rest of Francis’s life. The judge ordered the forfeiture and destruction of the phone.

July 2013

Paedophile tried to hide his rape victim in Hanley flat

Paedophile Emlyn Francis has been locked up for 10 years after raping a child.

The 56-year-old former soldier – who was already a registered sex offender – subjected the girl to a campaign of sexual abuse.

Stoke-on-Trent Crown Court heard the victim, who was aged under 13, was assaulted over a three-year period.

Francis’s crimes were discovered when police found the girl at his home during a routine check.

Prosecutor Neil Ahuja said: “Police visited his flat as part of monitoring him as per his sex offenders registration.

“There was a reluctance by the defendant to open the door, he was nervous on arrival and tried to hide the girl’s presence.”

Following the police intervention the victim told a family member what Francis had done to her.

Officers seized his mobile phone and found photographs of the abuse.

Francis, of Linfield Road, Hanley, pleaded guilty to two counts of raping a child, and seven counts of causing or inciting a child to engage in sexual activity.

Mr Ahuja said: “The counts are based on a combination of the victim’s disclosures to a family member, those made during her interviews and the photographs found on his mobile phone and what they revealed.”

The court heard Francis was dishonourably discharged from the Army in 1990 after he sexually assaulted an 11-year-old girl.

In 2001, he was convicted of three counts of indecently assaulting a female under 16, and gross indecency with a child.

Anis Ali, representing Francis, said his client had been ‘hard-working’ for most of his life.

“Of late, he has lived a lonely, perhaps sad, and isolated existence without active support,” said Mr Ali.

“He lost the support of his wife when he was last convicted, and he has no meaningful relationship with his children, who are now adults.

“He accepts full responsibility for his conduct.

“He is able to demonstrate a level of understanding of the long-lasting consequences and the trauma that he has caused the complainant.”

Judge David Fletcher sentenced Francis to 10 years in prison for the two rape charges and eight years – to run concurrently – for the seven further counts, making a total of 10 years.

He said: “You utilised your position, as an adult in a position of power, and you also used coercion.

“You required her to do things and if she did them she got a reward – that’s grooming.

“When the victim was interviewed she found the whole experience hugely difficult.

“I suspect that going through life she will find the recollection of this whole set of circumstances equally difficult to deal with.

“Goodness knows how this is going to affect her in years to come.”