August 2007

Rapist molested boy while on sex offenders’ register

A CONVICTED rapist from Newport carried out a series of sex attacks on a boy under 15 after being allowed back into the community.

Now, the victim’s parents are demanding to know how Stephen David Davies, of Gaer Vale, Newport, was allowed to molest their son four times while already on the sex offenders’ register.

Davies was handed an indeterminate sentence at Newport crown court yesterday, having pleaded guilty to three counts of rape and one attempted rape.

The victim’s family sat in court, visibly shaken, with the father shouting at 47-year-old Davies as he was led away from the dock.

Judge Roderick Denyer told the defendant he was a risk to children, and recommended he serve at least four and a half years before a parole application would be considered.

“You clearly have paedophilic urges which simply have not been controlled up until now,” he said.

The court heard Davies had already been placed on the sex offenders’ register for life in 1998 after being convicted of raping and indecently assaulting one girl, and attempting to rape another girl.

Davies was released from prison in 2002 after serving four years of a seven-year sentence, said prosecutor Martin Kelly, and is believed to have found work in a fast food outlet in Newport.

The court was told yesterday how Davies went on to befriend the boy with offers of cigarettes.

Davies admitted the abuse to police after the boy told a female neighbour, who alerted his mother, Mr Kelly said.

In mitigation, Caroline Rees said the defendant admitted he was a risk to children, and had even offered to undergo “a severe physical solution”.

“This of course is not available, but it shows how strongly he feels about it,” she added.

Ms Rees said her client had expressed remorse at his actions although he knew “this would offer little comfort to the family”.

“He is somebody that really does know that what he has done is wrong, that he has ruined a young boy’s life.”

AFTER the hearing, the victim’s father told the Argus how he feared his son would never get over his ordeal at the hands of a “monster”.

“Our son was the most loving and affectionate person you could ever have met,” he said.

“Now he is aggressive and anti-social with a bad attitude. He blames everyone close to him and won’t let anyone help him come to terms with it.”

The father said he wanted questions about Davies’ monitoring answered.

He said: “Why was he not monitored more closely?

“The damage has been done and will haunt my son for the rest of his life.”