September 2011

Paedophile, 75, jailed for 12 years after he abused boy and girl

A 75-YEAR-OLD paedophile has finally been locked up – more than 30 years after he abused a boy and a girl.

George Stevenson, of Turner Avenue, Langley Mill, was jailed for 12 years for sexual assaults on the children.

He collapsed in the dock at Derby Crown Court as Judge John Burgess handed him his sentence.

Security guards had to help him up and checked that he was unhurt. He was then led from the dock.

At the start of his three-day trial last month, Stevenson denied all ten of the counts of sexual assaults that he was facing.

But midway through the proceedings he changed his plea to guilty on two of the “lesser” charges.

He told the jury his change of heart came about because he had become a Christian 25 years earlier, which made it impossible for him to lie after swearing on the Bible.

But yesterday, Judge Burgess said he believed it was an attempt to manipulate the jury, in the hope it would lead to them finding him not guilty of the remaining eight more serious allegations he continued to deny.

They included a serious sexual assault on a boy of seven, three counts of indecent assault on a boy aged between seven and 11, as well as four counts of indecently assaulting a girl aged ten and 11.

All charges related to the abuse of the two victims, over a period spanning a number of years.

After hearing the evidence, jurors took less than two hours to convict him of all eight charges.

In statements, the victims told the court the abuse still had a profound impact on their lives today.

The female victim said she still felt she could not trust anyone.

Sentencing Stevenson, Judge Burgess told him: “I’m asked by your barrister to give you some credit for admissions you made during the trial. I can’t give you any credit for that at all.

Judge Burgess added: “I believe you were trying to manipulate the case to your advantage. You failed.”

At one point, Judge Burgess had to order Stevenson to “be quiet” as the pensioner continued to protest his innocence on the eight charges he denied.

He went on: “No sentence that I pass can give your victims their childhoods back.

“This was sexual abuse for your own sexual gratification.”

Alastair Munt, mitigating, asked Judge Burgess to consider his client’s age in deciding the length of his jail term, as well as his wife’s poor health.

But Judge Burgess said: “I have to pass a sentence that reflects the wrongdoing that you did.”

Afterwards, Stevenson’s male victim welcomed the sentence.

He said: “It’s a great relief. I don’t know if it will help me move on, but it’s a start.”