July 2023

Paedophile expecting child sex meet-up at McDonald’s met by police

A pervert who arranged to meet a child at McDonald’s for sex was instead met by police who arrested him.

Officers lay in wait before pouncing on Roy Hampson, who had in his possession a box of condoms and a bottle of ‘play lube’.

The 45-year-old, of Cinnamon Brow, had arranged the meet-up after engaging in vile and graphic sexualised discussions with the ‘young boy’.

He was later charged with attempted sexual communications with a child and arranging the commission of a child sex offence.

The facts of the case were outlined at Liverpool Crown Court on Friday, July 14 by prosecutor Christopher Hopkins.

He explained that an undercover police officer was posing online as a 14-year-old boy, the purpose of which was to identify those seeking to engage with children.

The defendant contacted the officer’s profile and communicated with him, initially on Grindr, and then on Kik Messenger and WhatsApp between February 7 and 11 last year.

The ‘boy’ said from the outset that he was 14, while the defendant lied about his age and said he was 33, and he did not desist contact after learning the age of the boy.

Communications were sexual, Mr Hopkins said, with ‘grooming-type behaviour’ being displayed by Hampson, who also told the ‘boy’ he was ‘good looking’ after being sent a photo.

The defendant reassured the officer when he played on that he was nervous about meeting up, with Hampson stating he wanted ‘cuddle sex’.

“It is clear from the defendant’s conversation that he intended to have anal sex, as he talked about that in some graphic terms,” the prosecutor said, with talk of looking the boy ‘in the eyes’.

They arranged to meet at 9am on May 11 last year at a McDonald’s restaurant in St Helens, but Hampson was met there by police officers who arrested him.

They found a box of condoms and a bottle of ‘play lube’ in his possession, and while he made some admissions during his police interview, he denied any sexual intention, the court was told.

Recorder Eric Lamb concluded: “It was plain in the way that you were communicating with the 14-year-old that your discussions were sexual.

“General communication made it clear what you had in mind.”

Hampson, of Mathers Close, was sentenced to two years and eight months in prison.

He was also told he must abide by sex offender registration and notification requirements and a sexual harm prevention order, both indefinitely.

In addition, the court approved an order to deprive the defendant of his mobile phone.