January 2023

Worcester man walks free from court after avoiding jail

A pervert caught again in possession of indecent photographs of children has narrowly escaped jail. 

A judge warned Jamie Lattimer it was last chance and if he commits any further offending he can expect to go to prison. 

The 35-year-old appeared at Worcester Crown Court to be sentenced on Friday (January 27).

Amanda O’Mara, prosecuting, told the court, police attended his address in Leah Close, Worcester, on May 18, 2021, seizing his iPhone. 

Lattimer’s phone was analysed by police which revealed he had category B images, the second highest level identified within the sentencing guidelines, which had been downloaded onto the device between September 26 and November 2, 2020.

Miss O’Mara said police found a further images at category C level, downloaded between the same dates. 

The prosecutor provided details of what were in the images which involved children between five and nine years old.

Miss O’Mara said an aggravating feature of the case was Lattimer’s past offending including having been caught with indecent images in 2012 and 2018. 

Sentencing him, Judge Nicholas Cole said: “These are always serious matters, particularly so for someone who has a record of offending.

“Those who view indecent images of children do so in the knowledge somewhere in the world a real child has been abused.

“You could have no complaints whatsoever if you were sent to custody.”

The judge announced he was jailing Lattimer for 30 weeks, but said the sentence would be suspended.

Judge Cole explained he had taken into account that in a short custodial period Lattimer would receive limited intervention from the probation service. 

During the two-year suspended sentence Lattimer was ordered to complete 54 rehabilitation requirement days – addressing his issues with child sexual abuse imagery – and will have to do 85 hours of unpaid work. 

Latimer was also given a 10-year sexual harm prevention order and continues to sign the sex offenders register.

The judge also ordered he pay the £1,200 court costs in full.