December 2022

Teen, 19, who stabbed his own mum to death exposed as depraved paedophile

A teenager locked up for life for killing his mother after she left her with 83 separate injuries during the knife attack was today exposed as a depraved paedophile with a hoard of sickening pictures and videos of abuse.

Aaron Matthew was arrested for fatally stabbing Ingrid Matthew to death at their home in Lincoln Street, Highfields, Leicester, on September 11, 2021.

During the raid the officers seized the teenager’s computer.

Today it emerged around 1,000 images and videos of illegal child abuse – including children as young as two years old – were found on the machine.

A hearing at Leicester Crown Court took place on Wednesday and Matthew had been due to attend by video link from the young offenders institution where he is being held.

But the 19 year old refused to go on the video link and he was sentenced in his absence.

Judge Timothy Spencer KC heard from prosecutor Esther Harrison that Matthew had admitted five charges – relating to indecent photos and videos of classes A, B and C, as well as pictures and videos defined by law as ‘prohibited images’ and ‘extreme pornographic images’.

Ms Harrison said: “There were children judged to be aged between two and four years old. Most were of children aged five to six years old.”

When he was sentenced for killing his mother – having pleaded guilty to manslaughter – Matthews was given a life sentence with a minimum of just over six years and seven months.

That means that after the minimum period is over he will be able to appeal to a parole board for release.

Judge Spencer indicated he intended to sentence Matthews to six months’ detention for the images of abuse – which would not add to his sentence – and no mitigation was made on behalf of Matthews by his barrister.

Judge Spencer said: “It will not extend his sentence. What it will do is affect the opinions of the parole board when he comes before them.”

After stabbing his mother to death with a hunting knife in his bedroom, Matthews changed his clothes and fled to Peterborough.

He later handed himself into Cambridge police.

When he was charged with murder he denied it and a trial trial was held, beginning at the end of March this year.

But the trial ended prematurely in April after Matthews entered a guilty plea to the lesser charge of manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility.

During the trial, experts said that his 54-year-old mother, who suffered 83 separate injuries during the knife attack.