David Taylor/Raymond Longley – Lincoln

August 2022

Rapist former deputy headteacher has appeal to reduce sentence rejected

A deputy headmaster who is serving jail time for rape and indecent assault has lost a Court of Appeal bid to have his sentenced reduced.

David Taylor, 72, from Brayford Wharf North, Lincoln, was sentenced to 19 years and six months at Lincoln Crown Court in July 2021.

A jury found him guilty of three counts of rape and four counts of indecent assault against five girls at Stubton Hall School, near Newark, between 1983 and 1995.

Raymond Longley, 87, who was a member of the care team from 1982 to 1997, and head of care for his first two years at the school, was also convicted of sexually abusing girls there and was imprisoned for four years.

Taylor worked at the school between 1975 and 1995. He was granted permission to appeal against his conviction by a High court judge on March 29.

His appeal was dismissed by the judge at the Court of Appeal at the Royal Courts of Justice on August 2. Claire (not her real name) was sexually and physically abused by Taylor from 10-years-old.

She said: “I am pleased that David Taylor’s appeal was dismissed. At the end of the day he got what he deserved, and I am glad the appeal court agreed with this.

“This appeal has just prolonged the torment for myself and I am sure it has for the other complainants involved with this case. Hopefully we can all try and put this behind us now.”

Solicitor Katherine Yates from Andrew Grove and Company in Cambridge is currently mounting a civil lawsuit against Lincolnshire County Council, which owned and ran the school. She said: “It’s hard to believe that Taylor sought to reduce his sentence given the despicable nature of his crimes and the fact that he fathered a child with one of the girls who he began abusing when she was under 16.

“The dismissal of his appeal enables victims to draw a line under the criminal proceedings and focus on getting the closure and counselling that they need through the civil proceedings.” Since May 2021 the number of survivors Andrew Grove and Company is representing has increased from 26 to 40.

Ms Yates added: “It doesn’t matter if you have not previously come forward to the police. We can still help you claim the compensation you are entitled to.

Comments are closed.