Sex offender who groomed boy with football club trial dream jailed for another ten years

A former football coach who groomed a boy with a promise of trials at professional clubs has been jailed for another ten years over child sexual abuse.

Kevan Tudor was already serving a nine-year sentence for sex offences.

The 61-year-old, who had lived in Birmingham, was previously found guilty of arranging or facilitating child prostitution and two counts of penetrative sexual activity with a child in May 2016.

He was one of ten men jailed for their part in the exploitation and abuse of two teenage boys in 2002 to 2003 and 2009 to 2010.

After seeing a newspaper article about Tudor’s conviction, another individual came forward to West Midlands Police in 2017. He reported being abused by Tudor when he was just 12 in the early 1980s.

After suffering mentally since his abuse, he did not feel strong enough to support an investigation and the case was filed. However, in 2019 he felt stronger and, having spent his life plagued by doubt that anyone would believe him, he approached police again.

The force’s investigation stalled during the covid pandemic as prison visits were not allowed in the lockdown and officers were unable to interview Tudor. Also many people police needed to speak to for evidence gathering were elderly and also isolating.

But the breakthrough came from an original handwritten football club statistic book from 1980 to 1986 with all teams, matches, goals and coach records meticulously kept by the-then team manager of the club where Tudor coached.

From this police traced many of the team, now men in their 50s, secured witness accounts and identified further people who had suffered abuse. Police followed the trail of Tudor’s career into private coaching and found another survivor, with no knowledge of the others, who he had abused from the age of ten.

Tudor, previously from Birmingham, was charged with 15 counts of indecent assault on a boy under 16 years of age and two counts of gross indecency against a boy under 14 years of age, against five victims, police said.

He admitted the charges at Birmingham Crown Court on Friday, July 8. He was sentenced to 15 years in prison – reduced by five years due to an early guilty plea.