February 2021

Pervert snuck into ex’s home as she slept & held knife to her throat in terrifying attack

Angry Samuel Nicholson held a knife to his ex-partner’s throat and threatened to kill her.

The 37-year-old got into the victim’s home while she was asleep and pinned her down on the sofa.

Stoke-on-Trent Crown Court heard he squeezed her neck and bit her in two places during the terrifying attack.

Nicholson had been living with the victim and her children at her Stoke-on-Trent home – until she found out the police were prosecuting him for downloading indecent images of children.

He went on to admit the offence and was handed a suspended sentence at North Staffordshire Justice Centre.

Nicholson moved to Northumberland but continued to contact the victim and turn up at her house uninvited, demanding the return of his laptop and iPod. She refused to give them back and instead told police about them.

Prosecutor Christopher O’Gorman said: “On the date of the offence, the injured party was at home and had fallen asleep on the sofa.

She awoke to find the defendant on her chest. He had a knife up to her throat and he was demanding the return of his laptop. He said, ‘I will kill you if I don’t get my stuff back’.

“She managed to get him off and she fell to the floor.

He squeezed her neck with his legs. There was a further struggle and eventually she managed to disarm him of the knife. She ended up on top of him.

During that the defendant bit her on the neck and the upper arm.”

The court heard Nicholson, of Blythe Terrace, Ashington, left the scene and was later arrested. He pleaded not guilty to assault by beating following the incident, which happened on November 2 last year, but was convicted following a trial.

It put him in breach of the suspended sentence order he received last July for making indecent photographs of a child.

Judge Paul Glenn sentenced Nicholson to two years in prison for the assault, and activated eight months of his suspended sentence.

Judge Glenn said: “The police who dealt with the victim at the time described her as being distraught after the attack. What you did has had an ongoing effect on her.”

An indefinite restraining order, which prohibits Nicholson from contacting the victim or going to her home or workplace, was also imposed.