June 2022

Vulnerable teenage girl raped in Glasgow city centre just two months after attacker freed on bail

A sex predator who followed a vulnerable teenage girl before subjecting her to a rape attack in a city centre street was jailed for five years today (Thursday).

Ryan Macdonald manoeuvred the victim, who had been drinking, behind scaffolding at Glasgow’s Union Street before assaulting her.

Macdonald, 33, carried out the attack just two months after he was freed on bail by a court after he had been charged with attempting to communicate indecently with a child.

He had denied raping the 18-year-old and claimed that sexual activity with the teenager took place with her consent.

But a judge at the High Court in Edinburgh said that no one who saw CCTV images of the teenager could have been left “with the slightest doubt” that she was incapable of consenting.

Footage of the teenager shot in the early hours of the morning of August 15 in 2020 was shown to jurors at Macdonald’s earlier trial when he was found guilty of raping the teenager while she was intoxicated and incapable of giving or withholding consent.

During the attack he followed her, put his arms around her, pushed and pulled her, kissed her and put her behind the scaffolding, pulled down her clothing and molested her.

Lord Harrower said that reports prepared on Macdonald had concluded he posed a very high risk of sexual reoffending.

The judge said that because of the seriousness of his crimes and his criminal record he was satisfied that only a custodial sentence was appropriate.

He ordered that the sex offender should be on licence for a further three year period and warned him that if he failed to comply with its conditions during that period he could be returned to custody.

Macdonald had earlier admitted two further charges of attempted indecent communication with a child and attempting to cause a child to view a sexual image.

The offences occurred between May 28 and June 5 2020 at a house in the Castlemilk area of Glasgow when he directed communications through Facebook messenger to a person he thought was a 14-year-old girl. In reality he was in contact with an adult woman pretending to be a child.

Macdonald posed as a younger person using a fake profile to send texts and images. He subsequently appeared at Glasgow Sheriff Court on June 17 2020 and was granted bail before going on to commit the predatory rape attack on the teenager.

He was placed on the sex offenders’ register indefinitely following today’s sentencing proceedings.