May 2022

Convicted child rapist from Bristol jailed after he ‘went for walks’ with girl

Pictured in 2012

A convicted child rapist who formed an acquaintance with a vulnerable 14-year-old girl has been jailed.

Steven Strange was banned from contact with children aged under-16 under the terms of a Sexual Harm Prevention Order (SHPO).

But he met the girl at a Bristol park, gave her his mobile number and they went on several walks together, Bristol Crown Court heard.

Strange, 34, of Jacob’s Wells Road in Bristol, pleaded guilty to two breaches of the SHPO. He also admitted failing to notify his whereabouts under sex offender notification.

Yesterday (May 24) the recorder Mr Richard Smith QC jailed him for 18 months. He told Strange: “You have a history of sex offending and non-compliance.”

Sam Jones, prosecuting, said Strange approached the girl when she was sitting on a bench. After telling her he was 21 and called Steven he gave her his mobile number and, feeling uncomfortable, she went home but returned later.

The court heard they then walked together and agreed to meet the next day. Having met again they went for another walk and went to Strange’s address – where the girl remained outside.

But, having argued with her mum, the girl returned to Strange’s address. The court heard she walked around in the dark with him until she went home around 1am.

Mr Jones said the next day Strange, having got the girl’s mobile number, rang her but her mum intercepted the call and refused him from seeing her.

She then reported the incident to police, who ran a check on Strange and his mobile number and tracked him down.

Strange told police he didn’t know the girl, but said he had given a girl a cigarette.

Police found the youngster outside his address and, when interviewed, Strange said he thought she was aged over 16.

October 2012

Sex pest who attacked woman that spurned him caught after giving her his phone number

A sex offender who brutally attacked a young woman after she spurned his advances was tracked down because she had accepted his phone number in an attempt to get rid of him, a court was told.

Convicted rapist Steven Strange, from Bristol, insisted on walking his victim home before knocking her out and then kissing and groping her as she lay unconscious in a graveyard.

The terrified young woman, who was told if she screamed she would be stabbed, came round and managed to piece together what had happened before going straight to the police and handing them his phone number.

Strange, 25, has pleaded guilty to assault occasioning actual bodily harm and sexual assault at Bristol Crown Court and was jailed for four years.

Mark Hollier, prosecuting, said the woman had been out with friends and was walking home alone at 4am when Strange appeared, asked her for a light and chatted to her.

Mr Hollier said: ‘The defendant insisted he would walk her home.

‘She was not keen to be walked to her home and walked past the turning to her road. She was on her phone to a friend. She was trying to go to his home, where she would then stay.’

The court heard Strange insisted he would walk her there and, to placate him, she took his mobile number and promised they would speak.

Mr Hollier said: ‘He said he would text her when he got home.

‘He gave her a hug and she hugged him back, like friends would hug to say goodbye.

‘He then kissed her, which was not welcome, gave her a longer hug and when she said she should go home he grabbed her against a parked car and she was not able to break free.’

Mr Hollier said Strange pushed the woman to the pavement, where she banged her head, and said: ‘If you scream I’ll stab you.’

Frightened she would be raped, she screamed and the attacker punched her repeatedly in the face and mouth.

The court heard she woke up bleeding in a churchyard, where she rang police with the details she had been given.

Strange was arrested at 5.15pm that day and denied everything, but was picked out from an identity line-up.

He had a previous jail term for child rape, the court heard.

Judge David Ticehurst was told the attacker could not face coming into court to hear his fate.

He imposed a sentence comprising of four years’ prison and three years’ extended licence, for public protection.

He described the victim as robust in spirit and told the court: ‘She says she feels partly responsible for the sexual assault because she was walking home alone. She says “I feel stupid”.

‘She should feel no sense of responsibility what so ever.

‘She is perfectly entitled to walk home in the early hours of the morning. She is perfectly entitled to think she will not be molested by a man of Steven Strange’s nature and character.’