April 2022

Powys sex offender failed to tell police of bank changes

A Powys sex offender has been fined after he failed to notify police that he’d changed his bank card.

Daniel Robert Leow was released from prison in March 2020 having served a custodial sentence for sexual offences.

As part of their release, sexual offenders must serve a period on the sex offender’s register – which for 40-year-old Leow runs until 2029.

As part of this process, offenders also have to notify the authorities of changes in their circumstances, such as changes of addresses and bank details.

Leow admitted two offences of failing to comply with the notification requirements of an order in relation to his release at Llandrindod Wells Magistrates’ Court last Wednesday, April 27. The offences occurred between March 27 and July 14, 2021.

Prosecutor Stephen Davies said Leow, of Maple Terrace, Llandrindod, is required to sign on the sex offender’s register until 2029 following his conviction in April 2019.

“The notification requirement includes bank accounts. Offenders have to notify police of changes, including validation and expiry details,” said Mr Davies. “This should be done within three days.”

He said Leow, previously known as Mr Atter, had a personal and business account with Santander and police discovered upon visiting the defendant at his home that a letter from Santander confirmed a new address and a new name.

Mr Davies said that in July 2021 Leow had attended a police station in Gloucester where he had informed police of a new address and new Santander accounts, which had expired in 2019.

Mr Davies said: “The new cards were in the defendant’s name, but he had not registered them in the time allocated, which he accepted. He apologised.”

Michael Davies, acting for Leow, said his client had a partner and worked as a self-employed consultant.

“There is not a lot of disagreement in relation to the facts,” said Mr Davies.

“In April 2019 Mr Atter, as he was then confirmed, had a Santander business account and personal account. A third card expired in June 2021.

“In March 2020 he notified police of his release from prison and that April applied for permission to change his name. He informed a solicitor of the need to change his name on his bank cards. In December 2020 he notified police of the address change.

“It was a difficult time during the pandemic, he couldn’t attend the police station so it had to be done over the phone. During a home visit from police he confirmed the change of address, his mistake was that he didn’t believe he had to notify anyone of the change of card until it was used.

“He didn’t try to hide the card, he was not registering it then as he was not going to use it at that time.

In June 2021 a letter from his bank asked if he’d registered the new details, he realised he had to do so within three days. He travelled to the police station on the fourth day.

“This breach was committed after a long period of compliance, he had gone way above the order.

Since his release, he’s been reporting correspondence with the HMRC, his online sales and DVLA matters, which he was not required to do.

“He has kept a meticulous log of conversations with police and probation – which runs to 34 pages.”

Magistrates fined Leow £120 for each offence and also ordered him to pay £85 costs and a £34 surcharge.

May 2019

‘Hardworking’ consultant started sending sexual messages to underage girls online after ‘lull in work’

A consultant bored during a “lull in work” started sending sexual messages to underage girls, a court heard.

Daniel Atter, 37, had been in a long-term relationship with a woman his own age but was exchanging messages with a 15-year-old girl and telling her he wanted to have sex with her and her stepsister.

Merthyr Tydfil Crown Court heard disgraced Atter told the girl, who sent him pictures of herself and her sibling, he “wished she was older” while he also sent lewd messages to a 14-year-old who also sent him sexual images.

The court heard Atter was questioned by police in December 2017 after they seized a laptop, tablet, and USB stick from his home

At the time the defendant was said to have told officers: “I haven’t got illegal images or anything like that.”

Officers later found more than 1,000 images, of varying degrees, on the devices.

It was also discovered Atter had been talking to young girls in chat rooms and via the Kik messaging app.

Between May 2017 and November 2017 there was a conversation with a teenager who told the defendant she was 15.

The court was told she sent him some pictures of her and her stepsister.

Prosecutor Dean Pulling said: “The conversation becomes sexual with the defendant asking for sexy pictures.”

Mr Pulling added: “He also talks about having sex with both her and her step-sister.”

Another conversation was also discovered between the defendant and a girl from Oxfordshire who was 14 at the time.

These conversations progressed from December 2016 to December 2017 but the court was told messages weren’t constant throughout that period.

Mr Pulling told the court Atter told her he’d like to see her “dressed as a schoolgirl” and revealed they had discussed meeting at a hotel.

“He asked her if she was on the pill,” Mr Pulling added. He said Atter referred to himself as “daddy” and told the victim he wanted to take her virginity.

Atter, of Montpellier Park in Llandrindod Wells, Powys, pleaded guilty to three counts of making indecent images of children, attempting to sexually communicate with a child, and causing or inciting a girl between the age of 13 and 15 to engage in sexual activity.

Sentencing him on Tuesday Judge Peter Heywood said the offending had “led to a breakdown” in the home life of one of his victims.

“You are clearly a man of professional standing and it’s sad to see a man of your calibre in the dock of this crown court,” he said

Atter was jailed for 21 months and must register as a sex offender for the next 10 years.