April 2022

Rapist carried out second assault despite knowing police were on to him

A man who had already been arrested on suspicion of rape brazenly carried out another rape on a teen months later despite knowing he was being investigated.

Josh Corless from Widnes was jailed for 13 years for two horrific rapes

A judge said the 23-year-old had “no regret, remorse or shame” about both incidents

Liverpool Crown Court heard yesterday how Corless carried out his second assault even in the knowledge that police were investigating him for the first.

He was first arrested after he raped a university student.

The rape of the student occurred after she had been on a night out with friends in Ormskirk

Corless volunteered to help her get home – but soon began to make sexual advances towards her. Even as the victim tried to reject him he continued to pester her, with the girl remembering him saying “I’m going to have sex with you”.

He attacked her shortly after, overpowering her and raping her. The woman went to the police the next morning.

The CPS said Corless was interviewed, charged and bailed. Yet the court heard he lied shamelessly to friends about that fact.

Judge Gary Woodhall said Corless even contacted one friend and said his victim was now under police investigation for making false allegations.

Six months later, Corless was involved in another sexual assault. The victim was a 16-year-old girl.

After meeting with the girl, who he had spoken with before, he took her to woodland and told her to have sex with one of his friends, a man who was classed as vulnerable.

When she refused, he threatened her with violence.

She then had non-consensual sex with the man as Corless filmed the rape.

He then distributed this on the social media platform ‘Tik Tok’ to others.  

One of the recipients alerted the girl to the video and later contacted the police.

He was later arrested and charged with causing a person to engage in sexual activity without consent and making and distributing indecent images of children.

Corless admitted sharing indecent images but denied the other offence right up until they went to trial.

He pleaded guilty to the rape of the student after she gave her evidence and, after a separate trial, was found guilty of the offences involving the 16-year-old.

The other man involved in that case was acquitted of rape

Judge Woodhall, who sat on the trial of the second sexual assault, said Corless’ conduct when he gave evidence, in addition to later statements to the probation service, showed he had no regret for what he had done.

He said Corless continued to operate “without any understanding, comprehension or care about what other people feel”.

The judge said Corless was at high risk of committing other sexual offences against woman and girls and jailed him for 13 years.