September 2020

Carlisle man, 28, banned from contacting girls

A pervert has been banned indefinitely from having any contact with girls who are aged under 18.

Darrel Stephen Carter, 28, said he opposed the Sexual Risk Harm Order when he appeared at the city’s Rickergate court, but he accepted that he did not dispute the evidence submitted by Cumbria Constabulary.

But District Judge Gerald Chalk told the defendant: “You have had inappropriate relationships with girls between 2012 and 2019 so why should I not make the order?”

The defendant argued that there was no need to make the order because of other ongoing legal proceedings but District Judge Chalk told him: “I am making an indefinite order.”

The order prohibits not only physical contact with girls aged under 18; it also forbids the defendant from making contact with such persons via electronic forms of communication, including through social media platforms.

The defendant – whose home city is Carlisle – is currently being held at Durham Prison.

No details of the evidence submitted by the police were aired in court.

Sexual Risk Harm Orders are civil orders but breaching one would be a criminal offence.

Carter has long history of grooming young girls online. He repeatedly sent naked images of himself with the view of engaging the girls into sexual activity. 

April 2020

Darrel Carter breaches risk of sexual harm order three times

A pervert has admitted three breaches of his ‘risk of sexual harm’ order.

Darrel Stephen Carter, 28, admitted the charges at Carlisle’s magistrates’ court on Friday.

The first charge related to April 15 and saw Carter use an internet enabled device – in this case a mobile phone – without notifying police of its acquisition, breaching his risk of sexual harm order made on November 25.

He admitted contacting a child under 18 on the internet on January 30, again in contravention of his order.

Carter, of Buchanan Road in the Harraby area of Carlisle, also pleaded guilty to a second charge of using an internet enabled device – this time an Apple watch – without informing police he had acquired it.

He was remanded in custody prior to being sentenced on May 15 at Carlisle Crown Court.