October 2021

Man threw dog over fence and broke its bones because it ‘tipped him over the edge’

A man from Deeside has been given an 18-week suspended prison sentence and banned from keeping animals for 10 years after a court heard he attacked and thne threw his pet dog over a fence because he was frustrated with training it.

Self confessed ‘gangster’ Thomas Trinkl of Sealand Court left the pet with serious rib fractures and wounds on his face and paw, which were not discovered until weeks later.

Shar Pei Teddy was taken to the RSPCA’s Greater Manchester Animal Hospital for treatment where vets found he had three historic rib fractures that had been left untreated.

Speaking at his trial at Mold Magistrates’ Court last month, Trinkl said Teddy’s broken ribs could have been caused when he was out on a walk or left unaccompanied in the street.

However, the court heard that an RSPCA officer had visited Bridge View in Deeside last year, following reports from members of the public who had seen Teddy being hit and thrown over a fence.

Passers-by reported that Teddy was extremely nervous and appeared scared by any sudden movements.

Trinkl later admitted throwing the pooch over the fence but said this was because he was frustrated with training the animal.

RSPCA inspector Jenny Anderton said: “Tommy Trinkl said he got frustrated with the dog sometimes and that the previous day, the dog had “tipped him over the edge” and that he had thrown it over the wall as it was “the only way out”.

“I asked him whether he would like to sign the dog over if he wasn’t managing with it’s behaviour. He said he would think about it. He said the dog had been toileting in the house and that he lost his rag with the dog sometimes but he didn’t want to give up on it like his family had given up on him.”

The court was told that Teddy would show signs of fear when Trinkl became agitated and would shake, urinate and defecate in the house.

He said he hadn’t noticed his dog was in pain because of the rib fractures and said Teddy was “always having little accidents” and might do things like “run into a door.”

The vet who first treated Teddy told the court: “It requires considerable force to disrupt the structure of a bone and cause it to break or fracture. The owner’s explanation of how Teddy’s injuries could have occurred do not match the severity of the injuries.

“It is my opinion that Teddy was allowed to suffer due to a failure of his owner to present the dog for veterinary assessment and treatment of multiple rib fractures.

“It is also my opinion that there is a significant probability that the injuries identified in Teddy were non-accidental in nature and that the owner, Thomas Lee Trinkl, was the most likely person to have assaulted Teddy.”

A second veterinary surgeon who examined and took X-rays of Teddy, said: “The fractures will have resulted in unnecessary pain and suffering to Teddy which in my opinion has occurred on multiple occasions.”

Trinkl, who denied the two animal welfare offences, was also ordered to carry out 240 hours of unpaid work and pay a victim surcharge of £128.

Teddy has made good progress in the care of the RSPCA and will be looking for a new home.

The court was told that Trinkl was also convicted earlier this year after he threatened to “smash up the whole street” after causing thousands of pounds worth of damage to a place he was living in. He also admitted that on that date he used threatening or abusive behaviour and resisted a police officer.